Are you a Windows 7 or 8.1 user tired of seeing Microsoft’s incessant taskbar pop-ups prompting you to upgrade to Windows 10? Here is one simple trick that will you to stop showing Windows 10 upgrade prompts in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.
Microsoft is pushing Windows 10 upgrade option more vigorously, the most annoying part of all this is the constant taskbar pop-ups asking you to upgrade to Windows 10. Recently company revealed that users who are running Windows 7 Pro or Windows 8.1 Pro can expect to start seeing the Get Windows 10 app in their taskbar, suggesting that they upgrade to the new OS.
Hide Windows 10 Upgrade Prompts
Many third party apps are out in the internet to disable Windows 10 upgrade notification, but happy news is Microsoft recently published a guide to do this task. A simple tweak in registry can successfully stop your Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 to showing upgrade notification. Just follow the instructions and banish Windows 10 upgrade prompts :
• In Windows 7, type ” run ” in search box and select the Run program from the results. In Windows 8.1, its simple press ” Windows Key + R ” to open the Run program.
• Next step is type in ” regedit ” in Run program and tap Enter to open Registry Editor.
• Now we are inside the Registry Editor, here first we need to disable the operating system upgrade for Windows update. To do this task , navigate in the Registry Editor to :
” HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > WindowsUpdate “
• Now we have to create a DWORD entry to make all this work. So in the Registry Editor menu click ” Edit > New > DWORD (32-bit Value) ”
This will create a new entry in ” HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > WindowsUpdate “.
• You have to give the new entry the name “ DisableOSUpgrade ” and then hit Enter.
• Next, double click on the ” DisableOSUpgrade ” entry you just created, and in the new window that opens set the Value data: to 1, click OK.
• Now go to ” HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows “. Again create a DWORD by clicking ” Edit > New > DWORD (32-bit Value) “. Give this new entry the name “ DisableGWX ” and then hit Enter.
• Once again, double click on the ” DisableGWX ” entry, and in the new window that opens set Value data: to 1, click OK, and then close the Registry Editor.
• Now reboot your system and that should be it. You successfully hide Windows 10 upgrade prompts in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 forever.
Tell us if you find above method helpful and feel free to ask your doubts in comments if your stuck in the middle of the process.