Are you a victim of ransomware attack ? Don’t worry — use this simple steps to remove ransomware and retrieve your encrypted files with the help of these free ransomware decryptors.
Ransomware — one of the notorious malware floating around the internet. Actually they are a piece of software that locks down your files in your PC or smartphone behind an encrypted paywall. Yes, you have to pay ransom to get back your valuable files. Even if you send the money — there’s no guarantee you’ll get that decryption key to unlock your encrypted files.
But what if I say— you can get rid-off these scammers ?
In this article we are going to cover 3 areas of ransomware attacks :
- How to avoid ransomware attacks ?
- If you are device is infected with ransomware, then how to remove it ?
- Finally, how to retrieve your personal encrypted files with these free ransomware decryptors.
There are different kinds of ransomwares. Above mentioned encrypting ransomware is one of them. Others are :
Screen lockers — when this ransomware attacks you, it will kick you out of your PC and displays a full-sized window accompanied by an official-looking FBI or U.S. Department of Justice seal saying illegal activity has been detected on your computer and you must pay a fine. Only a system restore can reclaim your PC from this ransomware.
Scareware — Scareware includes rogue security software and tech support scams. You might receive a pop-up message claiming that a bazillion pieces of malware were discovered and the only way to get rid of them is to pay up. If you do nothing, you’ll likely continue to be bombarded with pop-ups, but your files are essentially safe. A quick scan from your security software should be able to clear out these ransomware.
How to avoid ransomware attacks ?
Who is safe from ransomware attack ? — Answer is “NO ONE“. Ransomware attacks on Windows,on Android,on Linux and even on Mac,so it doesn’t matters which platform you use, these cyber-criminals will find a way to attack your system if it is no well protected. And also you don’t have to be a famous person, everyone can be a ransomware victim.
So always think one step ahead of these scammers and safeguard your precious data. Because prevention is better than cure and removing ransomware is a hurtful process, it will consume a lot of your time and also need some luck though.
Tips to avoid ransomware attacks :
1. Install a good antivirus : First tip is to install a top-notch antivirus that often scans your online activity and applications in your PC.
2. Secure back up of your data : You need to create secure backups of your data on a regular basis to USBs or an external hard drive and always remember to disconnect your external memory devices from your computer after backing up otherwise they will also infect with ransomware. You can also use a Cloud storage with high-level encryption and multiple-factor authentication features to store your files.
3. Download files from trusted sources : Always try to download files from trusted sources or websites. Be alert and check file description before downloading from torrents. Try to avoid websites that have too many pop ups.
4. Scan email attachments before download : No one can be trusted online, everyone makes mistake. So always double-check your email attachments before downloading even if it is came from your relatives/friends or office.
Also never open email attachments from strangers. And check thoroughly email details like sender name and email address,company logo,spelling — because potential scammers forge emails that looks like coming from official source. And in Gmail make sure you scan attachments before open.
5. Update operating system and other applications : No matter whether you are using Windows or Android always update your operating system and other applications.
How to remove ransomware from infected device ?
If your device is infected by ransomware and scammers are asking you to pay to unlock your files then, what can you do?
Variety of tools are available online to remove ransomware from your system. But effectiveness of these ransomware removal tools depends upon the type of ransomware infection.
So try to use appropriate ransomware removal tools, most of them are free. And also before using these tools always use your antivirus or anti-malware application to remove ransomware from your system.
Free ransomware decryptors
Even though if you remove ransomware with the help of removal tools or antivirus, your files will still remain encrypted or unreadable form. To solve that problem you have to use decryption tools.
Here are the list of 7 free ransomware decryptors offered by NoMoreRansom.org — an initiative by the National High Tech Crime Unit of the Netherlands’ police, Europol’s European Cybercrime Centre and two cyber security companies – Kaspersky Lab and Intel Security – with the goal to help victims of ransomware retrieve their encrypted data without having to pay the criminals.
Download the listed ransomware decryptors from NoMoreRansom website(mentioned above) :
1. WildFire Decryptor : WildfireDecryptor tool is designed to decrypt files encrypted by Wildfire.
2. Chimera Decryptor : ChimeraDecryptor tool is designed to decrypt files encrypted by Chimera.
3. Teslacrypt Decryptor : TeslaDecryptor can decrypt files encrypted by TeslaCrypt v3 and v4.
4. Shade Decryptor : ShadeDecryptor can decrypt files with the following extensions: .xtbl, .ytbl, .breaking_bad, .heisenberg.
5. CoinVault Decryptor : The CoinVault decryption tool decrypts files encrypted by Coinvault and Bitcryptor.
6. Rannoh Decryptor : RannohDecryptor tool is designed to decrypt files encrypted by: Marsjoke aka Polyglot, Rannoh, AutoIt, Fury, Crybola, Cryakl,CryptXXX versions 1 and 2.
7. Rakhni Decryptor : RakhniDecryptor tool is designed to decrypt files encrypted by: Chimera, Rakhni, Agent.iih, Aura, Autoit, Pletor, Rotor, Lamer, Lortok, Cryptokluchen, Democry, Bitman (TeslaCrypt) version 3 and 4.
So now onwards say no to ransowmware — don’t pay a penny to those scammers. Always safeguard your device from ransomware attacks.
If you have any tips to share about how to avoid ransomware attacks and know any ransomware decryptors let us know them in comments. We will add them to this article.