Late last year, Qualcomm announced its high-end Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 processor, which has been the heart of most premium smartphones in 2023. Later in March this year, they introduced the Snapdragon 7 Plus Gen 2, and now they’ve unveiled its little sibling, the Snapdragon 7s Gen 2. This new chip is designed to be a more affordable yet powerful option, giving MediaTek competition in mid-range and budget smartphones.
Snapdragon 7s Gen 2 Technical Specifications:
- Core Configuration: Four high-performance Cortex cores clocked at 2.4 GHz and four energy-efficient Cortex cores at 1.95 GHz.
- Connectivity: Comes with a Snapdragon X62 5G modem that supports speeds up to 2.9 Gbps.
- Camera Capabilities: Supports cameras up to 200 MP and can manage multiple cameras — 48 MP single, or a 32 MP + 16 MP dual setup.
- Display and Graphics: Supports FHD+ displays with a refresh rate of up to 144 Hz. The GPU version is yet to be disclosed.
- Charging and Battery: Features Quick Charge 4+ technology for rapid charging.
The Snapdragon 7s Gen 2 is not just a watered-down version of its predecessors. It’s a strategically designed chip that aims to offer a balance between performance and cost. While it may lack some of the high-end features of its family members, it makes up for it in affordability and efficiency.
The first smartphone to be graced by this new processor will be the Redmi Note 13, set to be announced in China in the coming weeks. It’s expected to make its way to other parts of the world by the end of this year or early next year.