In 2019, let’s start with safeguarding your smartphone with best free antivirus Android apps.
Doesn’t matter, if it is a smartphone or a computer — Antivirus is an essential piece of application we install on our device to fight against virus, malware and ransomware. Choosing the best free antivirus for a computer is not a hard task since tons of articles are available here on internet reviewing various free versions of antivirus for PC. But in case of Android smartphones play store provides a hell load of apps to protect our Android device from virus and malware.
But the problem is we can’t find best free antivirus Android apps from that Google Play list. So in this article, we are going to list 10 best free Antivirus apps for Android.
As you know Android is based on Linux kernel so generally, antivirus Android apps are not important as you install apps from Google Play, enabling essential security settings and timely following the device updates. So when you need an antivirus protection for your smartphone?
If anyone of the below instances reflects your device usage then should install an Android antivirus app :
- if you are installing or downloading Android apps from a third party website
- if you are browsing or downloading files from unsecured websites
- if you are using an outdated smartphone or a device with no regular updates from the device manufacturer
- if you are using a rooted Android device
- if you are regularly transferring files between unknown devices like other smartphones or computers
Best Free Antivirus Android Apps:
Some of the listed antivirus apps for Android also provides the premium version with more features and here we only brief features for free version app.
1. Comodo Mobile Security
Comodo Mobile Security — Android antivirus app developed by popular security firm, Comodo Security Solutions equipped with “Always on” antivirus and on-demand scanner to keep your device clear of viruses and unsafe apps. Comodo antivirus Android app scans all installed apps along with locally stored APK files in real time and also monitor each installation process. Add-on extensions like Anti Theft, App Lock and Back up helps to strengthen the security wall of your Android smartphone.
Comodo Mobile Security free Android antivirus features:
- Cloud Scan – Over-the-air protection from viruses
- SD Card Scan – Scans external SD cards to detect and delete threats.
- Schedule Scan – Automatic scans at regular intervals
- Call Blocking – Option to block incoming calls
- Secure Wi-Fi – Wi-Fi hotspot encryption and standard security verification prior to connection
- Secure Browsing – Provide notification alert (only in Chrome), when trying to open a potential risky URL address
2. 360 Security
360 Security is a free security protection for Android phone comes with Speed Booster, Junk Cleaner, Anti Spyware and Virus Remover. The developer also provides a lite version of the app to protect low-end Android smartphones.
360 Security free Android antivirus features:
- Junk File Cleaner
- Speed Booster
- Multi-function lock screen
- Anti-theft and real-time protection
- Saves your device’s power by knowing when to automatically trigger 360 Security’s Battery Saver feature
3. Avira Antivirus Security
Avira free antivirus for Android safeguards your phone and everything on it from online threats and theft. Along with antivirus Avira also acts as malware/spyware removal and provides safe browsing and remote anti-theft features. Avira Antivirus Security also prevents ransomware from encrypting your phone and taking your data and apps hostage.
Avira free Android antivirus features:
- Helps you find, track, and recover your lost or stolen phone
- Shows how each of your apps collects sensitive data
- Blocks unauthorized access to other apps installed on your device
- Automatically scans apps and their updates for hidden malware
- Scans external storage units
- Checks if you or your contacts’ email addresses have been leaked in a 3rd party security breach
4. Kaspersky Mobile Antivirus
The antivirus solution from famous Kaspersky Lab helps to keep your phones and tablets secure from online dangers. Kaspersky Mobile Antivirus for Android scans downloaded apps for malware, ransomware, phishing, spyware and other infections using a background check to give you outstanding virus protection, guarding your devices against threats. Apart from the antivirus protection, the app is also packed with anti-theft and app lock feature to safeguard your Android device from physical threats too.
Kaspersky free Android antivirus features:
- Background check — scans on-demand and in real-time for viruses, spyware, ransomware, and Trojans.
- Find my phone — locates & locks your Android phone or tablet if it’s lost or stolen.
- Anti-Theft — protects personal information from thieves, wiping it from your device.
- Anti-Phishing — keeps your financial information secure when you shop & bank online.
- Filters out dangerous links & sites when you go online.
5. Avast Mobile Security
Avast Mobile Security protects your device against viruses and malware that cause popups and unwanted ads. More than 100 million installs Avast free antivirus for Android designed to secure your devices against phishing attacks from email, phone calls, infected websites or SMS messages. It also alerts when you install spyware and adware apps that violate your privacy.
Avast free Android antivirus features:
- Call Blocker
- Photo Vault
- Power Saver
- Firewall (for rooted Android only)
- RAM booster and junk cleaner
6. AVG AntiVirus for Android
AVG AntiVirus for Android is the one of the powerful mobile security used by millions. Once installed, it runs silently to protect you from the latest viruses, malware, spyware, unsafe apps and settings, unwanted callers, and other nasty threats.
AVG free Android antivirus features:
- Boost speed by killing tasks that slow down your device
- Extend battery life with Power Save
- Lock sensitive apps with a PIN, pattern, or fingerprint
- Enable locating your lost phone via Google Maps
- Hide private photos in an encrypted Vault
7. Bitdefender Antivirus Free
Bitdefender Antivirus Free utilizes in-the-cloud scanning technology to arm your Android device with the very latest industry leading virus detection, without interfering with your mobile experience or draining your battery.
Bitdefender free Android antivirus features:
- Autopilot automatically scans any new apps that are downloaded to your Android device for viruses.
- Feather-light performance
8. Malwarebytes Security
Malwarebytes free Android antivirus features:
- Scans your apps for malicious code
- Catches high-level ransomware threats disguising themselves through mutation in deep scan mode
- Automatically detects if a malicious link is found in an incoming text message
- Identifies applications that track your location, monitor your calls, or cost you extra money in hidden fees
9. Quick Heal Mobile Security
Quick Heal Mobile Security provides free Protection for your hone against virus attacks, theft, and unwanted numbers. The software notifies you about apps that can affect your privacy and guides you about settings that can enhance your device’s security.
Quick Heal free Android antivirus features:
- Call Filter blocks unwanted calls from individual numbers or entire series
- Quick Heal RDM allows you to access various features on your device when the device is not physically accessible
- Privacy Advisor helps you review apps installed on your phone and their permissions which may affect your privacy
10. Security Master
Security Master, previously known CM Security protects not only your phone but also your privacy. Along with antivirus Security Master provides free VPN, proxy & unblock solution to freely access favorite contents and protect online data transmission to prevent leak of online banking information, private messages, and browsing history.
Security Master free Android antivirus features:
- Message Security hides notifications timely to protect your privacy.
- Disguises lock screen so that no one is aware of you are using AppLock while keeping your secret & privacy safe
- Free VPN, phone booster, battery saver, and CPU cooler
All the listed free antivirus Android apps are best for security and privacy protection. Try them all and choose one with your favorite feature. Also, we will update this list with more free antivirus apps for Android.