The operating system is why you can use your computer and its many functions. It is the most critical software that runs on your computer. All the inputs you give by using the mouse, keyboard, and other command buttons are interpreted into the computer’s language because of the operating system.
This proves that the operating system is the heartbeat of a computer, without which it becomes useless. When you turn on a computer, various programs will start running simultaneously. These programs need access to the computer’s memory, storage, and Central Processing Unit to function.
There are only five operating systems for your computer, and what you choose will define how your computer functions. Each operating system has its advantages and disadvantages.
So, on that note, let us look at the top 5 operating systems and their pros and cons, which we have made ready together with Shoppok – leader of internet selling in the USA.
Microsoft Windows is the most common of all the operating systems currently available to the public. Microsoft developed the first Windows version in the 1980s, and its popularity has only grown from strength to strength with the release of new versions.
The latest Windows version is Windows 11, which was released to the public in 2022. Windows 7 was a widely-used version by consumers, but Microsoft discontinued the security updates and technical support in 2020.
Though Microsoft Windows is the most popular operating system, it also has its limitations. Let us look at some pros and cons of the Windows operating system.
- Since the Windows operating system is used by most people worldwide, hardware developers produce drivers that support Windows.
- Users find it easy to use the latest updated versions of Windows because Microsoft keeps the User Interface common in all of them.
- Windows is widely used by game and software developers to develop games, apps, and other software.
- The most common problem with the Windows operating system is that the computer freezes when many programs run.
- When there are technical problems, getting good support from the Windows team is not easy.
- Most programs in the Windows operating system do not come for free, like the download manager, anti-virus, games, etc.
The Macintosh Operating System or macOS is the primary operating system used in Apple computers. It is an excellent operating system suitable for people who like to get creative with photography, video, and art.
It is compatible with all Apple devices, like iPhones, MacBooks, etc. The latest version of the macOS is the macOS 12 Monterey, released to Apple users in 2021. The macOS is a powerful operating system but comes with a few setbacks.
- macOS has a simpler and more streamlined user interface, allowing users to complete their work without complications.
- People who use macOS are less vulnerable to virus attacks since its UNIX relationship is more secure than other operating systems.
- People who use iPhones will find it comfortable to shift to macOS due to the identical graphical user interface.
- Mac PCs are not budget-friendly and come with fewer hardware specifications than PCs that use other operating systems.
- You cannot make changes to the hardware in Mac PCs, like the processor, graphics card, etc.
- Mac PCs cannot run games with high graphics because of their low-graphics capability.
Linux is one of the most-used operating systems in terms of its application on a wide range of systems in phones, cars, television, etc. It is a very powerful operating system that is used in running most of the internet.
Linux is known for its open-source operating system, where people can access its base code and redesign it. The base code is the source of the Linux operating system, and many prominent companies use it to release their operating systems based on Linux.
Its adaptability has been well-embraced and backed by several operating systems and software programs. However, there can also be disadvantages while using Linux. Here are its pros and cons.
- You do not require a license to install and use the Linux operating system. Since it is an open-source operating system, you can download it for free.
- It is more secure from virus attacks because of the lesser number of users as compared to Windows and macOS.
- You do not need to install anti-virus programs in the Linux OS, which frees up memory space. This gives way to a fast operating system.
- Learning how to use the Linux operating system takes patience and time, which can frustrate some people.
- You cannot use Microsoft applications in the Linux operating system.
- According to most users, the lack of drivers in the Linux operating system is one of its biggest downsides.
Ubuntu is an operating system created based on Debian, an old distro that was difficult to install. It is one of the distributions of the Linux kernel.
Ubuntu is the most popular Linux workstation platform worldwide for computers and private servers. It also comes with a few setbacks, which we will look at below.
- You can use Ubuntu freely for the rest of your life because it is an open-source operating system based on the Linux kernel.
- Unbuntu is very popular among app and software developers.
- Ubuntu uses a kernel enhancement called AppArmor, which mitigates the extent of security breaches.
- There are not many applications you can choose from Ubuntu, unlike Windows and macOS.
- Ubuntu is not an ideal operating system for people enthusiastic about playing games with high graphics and advanced gameplay.
- There are frequent compatibility issues between the hardware and operating system Ubuntu users face.
The Solaris operating system is a proprietary Unix OS that Sun Microsystems developed. This operating system is used mainly by telecoms, financial institutions, or energy-sector companies.
It is the best OS for Oracle Database and Java applications. Solaris is not a standard operating system used by less than 1% of all websites. Let us look at the advantages and disadvantages of Solaris.
- The Solaris operating system can handle many users at a time.
- This operating system is least likely to face virus attacks because it is fully secure.
- It is known for having many backup tools.
- Though you can install and run Solaris for free, the software updates will cost you some.
- The hardware support is not as good as the other operating systems like Windows and Linux.
- The Solaris operating system is not ideal for personal use; primarily designed for commercial and large-scale applications.